- Today we hit the debt ceiling.
- Now the government can’t borrow more money even if they want to.
- Last week, Glenn was in Israel.
- While there he noticed the joy amongst the Jewish people there celebrating their Independence Day there.
- This week, there was violence with the Palestinians as they celebrated Nakba Day, the “Day of Catastrophe” (creation of the Jewish state).
- Sixteen people died.
- The demonstrations were organized via Facebook.
- Palestinians are talking about “stolen land” and “the oppressor”.
- This will be coming to our borders someday.
- Children in America are being taught that we stole the land from Mexico and we are the oppressors.
- Also, there were protests at Israel’s embassy in Cairo.
- Three hundred fifty were injured there.
- The Gaza Flotilla is still on its way.
- Israel’s Prime Minister Netanyahu called the demonstration on the Syrian border “staged” to divert attention from their own unrest.
- The media is willing to push the line that the Israelis are the brutal oppressors while ignoring the Syrian government killing demonstrators in the streets.
- The Prime Minister of Hamas said Hamas will not recognize Israel and urged all Muslims to “pray for an end to Israel”. He urged Israel to return to the pre-1967 borders.
- The whole world is lining up behind the Middle East to force Israel to “compromise”.
- Glenn recapped the Left’s strategy…
· They begin to destabilize Europe and the rest of the world.
· This is happening.
The Arab “Spring”
· Glenn showed an article from the Washington Post from May 13th, “Egypt’s Liberals Worried”…
“They have substituted the dictatorship of Mubarak with the dictatorship of the Muslim Brotherhood…That’s where Egypt is going now.”
- Have you seen the problems the Christians are having in Egypt?
- He showed videos of churches burning.
- He commented: Do you think that if Israel were to agree to a two state solution, the entire Middle East would calm down and be normal?
- He contends that if there is no Israel, we won’t be far behind.
Get Involved and Take Action
- Previously, he has asked people to become involved and to take action…
- 9:12 Project
- 40 Day – 40 Night Challenge
- 8:28 Restoring Honor Rally
- The Willington Lesson
- Recently, he understood how all of these come together.
“This August, he will be holding another rally. This time in Jerusalem to restore “Courage”.
A Responsibility to Act
- Glenn discussed Eric Bonhoeffer, a Lutheran Priest in Nazi Germany who spoke out against Hitler. Glenn sees him as a model for how we must react to the events of today. Eric said, in part…
“Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act…”
- Glenn feels that trouble is coming for Jews – again.
- He discussed reading the Book of Ruth in the Bible. Ruth, after her husband died, told her mother-in-law, Naomi…
“Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.” Ruth 1:16
- That is what needs to be said to Israel.
- He urges people to discuss this with the families, friends and neighbors and to please come join him this August.
- More details at http://www.glennbeck.com/.
- While he was in Israel, he discussed his plans for the event with the mayor of Jerusalem. The mayor said that the city would be his partner in making it happen.
Guest: Nir Barkat, Mayor of Jerusalem
- Since the city reunification in 1967, the city has been open to all religions.
- Prior to that, the city was segregated.
- Jews couldn’t even pray at the temple mount.
- The mayor wants to open the city to all religions and have more people visit.
- The mayor looked at other cities that were partitioned and he could find none that worked.
- Jerusalem works.
- Glenn referred to the survey conducted by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion…
“Most Arabs living in Jerusalem prefer living under Israel’s sovereignty over Palestinian authority.”
- With respect to violence, there are fewer murders per 100,000 residents than New York, Chicago or Washington, D.C.
- They had nine murders last year in Jerusalem with a population of 800,000.
- Tourism is up, way up, year over year.
- The mayor notes that the “Arab Spring” movement doesn’t fit into the usual mold of the Middle East.
- Neither does Hamas taking over the Palestinian authority.
- He notes that no one knows how this will turnout.
- He recommends “managing” the situation until things settle down rather than working towards a “solution”.
- The Western notion of “win-win” doesn’t fit the Palestinian/Israeli problem when the Palestinians are committed to the destruction of Israel.
- Israel views the relationship with the US as a strategic one and provides support to the US with its knowledge of how to fight terror and other things.
- Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, has shared values and ideals with the US.
- As to good and evil, look at intentions. It is evil for one party to want to kill its neighbors.
- It is good to want all religions to co-exist in peace.
- Glenn then showed two videos
§ Video 1 showed Stephanie Nielson, a woman burned over 90% of her body and is very disfigured.
· The video was taken from the 20/20 program.
· She said she understands people’s reaction to her and does not hold any ill will towards them.
§ Video 2 showed a picture of an Iranian woman who had acid thrown into her face, blinding her and disfiguring her.
· He attacker was convicted.
· Her attacker was sentenced to have acid poured into his eyes. That is Iranian justice. She said…
“I want people like him to know that they will suffer forever if they cause someone such suffering.”
- Glenn notes that we have a choice between compassion and courage or vengeance and hate.