Fact vs. Opinion
- Glenn discussed email he got from the previous day’s program content. He spoke of many messages claiming he was a liar, etc.
- He then discussed a way of looking at a situation as follows…
- He then noted that many times we end up arguing a mix of problem, facts and opinion/conclusion/theory. In short, we don’t get an agreement on what the problem is, and then what the appropriate facts are that pertain to the problem. After some mental processing we can then form opinions, conclusion, and/or theory and agree or disagree at that level.
- There seems to be a problem with people seeing politicians or the President doing certain things. We can’t accept that maybe they have a fundamental disconnect with values and principals of that are the foundations of the United States.
- In particular, people are having a problem making the leap to believe the President has a difference of opinion about the fundamental structure of America, is transforming the country – and telling you he is transforming it -, and is hanging out with Marxists and revolutionaries.
- They also do not understand how it would benefit him.
- There was some discussion of the process of critical thinking, of keeping facts separate from opinions, conclusions or theories.
Roots of Obama’s Rage
- A new book, just out is “Roots of Obama’s Rage” by Dinesh De’Souza. Found at Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Obamas-Rage-Dinesh-DSouza/dp/1596986255/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3
- Dinesh is the President of King’s College in New York.
- He was born in India and came to the US when he was 17.
- In this book, he lays out facts about Obama that he has uncovered to write this book.
- The White House has been smearing this book. They don’t want you reading this book
- Glenn turned the program over to Dinesh to discuss his facts and conclusions.
- Dinesh covered Obama’s relationships with family members, especially his father who remained a large part of his life even though he abandoned Obama and his mother early on.
- His mother encouraged Barack to look up to his biological father, not his stepfather.
- Barack’s father and grandfather were both active in Kenya resisting the colonial power controlling the country at that time, Great Britain.
- Dinesh’s conclusion is that Obama has sought to adopt his biological father’s worldview (based on Barack’s writings and statements of relatives).
- He showed two quotes from an article written by Obama’s socialist father about the appropirateness of taxing the rich, even as much as 100%.
- Books Recommended include…
- “Dreams From My Father” by Barack Obama
- “The Audacity of Hope” by Barack Obama
- “The Bridge” by David Remnick
- “The Promise” by Jonathan Alter
- “Culture and Imperialism” by Edward Said
- “The Wretched of the Earth” by Frantz Fanon
- “Neocolonialism” by Kwame Nkrumah
- “The Collected Writings of Frank Marshall Davis” Edited by John Tidwell
Anticolonialism and Neocolonialism
- The traditional view of anticolonialism by revolutionaries is as follows…
o The world is made up of two groups…
Colonizers (Historically white westerners. Formerly European, now
o Since the European countries got out of the colonizing business, the current term used is Neocolonialism. In place of countries being the colonizers, this role is now being played by big businesses. They include (but are not limited to)…
§ Drug Companies
§ Energy Companies
§ Insurance Companies
o One place this view is depicted is in the children’s film “The Story of Stuff”. This film was produced by the Tides Foundation and has been shown in schools throughout the country.
o Glenn then showed a film his organization developed similar in format to “The Story of Stuff” but showing an alternative view of the way the economy works.
o Dinesh will be continuing his tutorial on the next day’s program.