The discussion today was about the three upcoming holidays:
- The first Thanksgiving celebration was held in 1621
- Of the 102 original colonists, only 53 survived to attend that celebration
- Made a holiday in 1870
- For a while, it was banned in Boston
- New Years
· DHS had a major facility in Wilmington
· It closed that facility, laying off 9,500 of the city’s 12,000 inhabitants.
· Glenn will be hosting a show there. Details to be provided later.
· Glenn also encouraged viewers to attend.
· Encouraged residents to prepare Christmas presents for sale.
· A Wilmington resident guest, Allen Willowby, Director of the Sugar Tree Ministry discussed the work his ministry does.
o They provide 160 meals twice per day.
o They are supported by all of the city’s 32 churches.
o They take no government money.
· Glenn chose Wilmington as a model. He feels that tough times are coming and feels that Wilmington can show America how they can handle them.
- Two guests
- Daniel Lapin, Rabbi, Director of the Alliance of Christians and Jews
- Keith Ablow, Psychiatrist
- They had a discussion of gratitude, especially as it relates to giving.
- There are two types of giving situations:
- The recipient participates somehow in the activity.
- The recipient has no responsibility or role. The gift is an entitlement, which ultimately destroys the recipient’s self esteem.